Tuesday, January 6, 2015

In Our Right Mind

“We have the mind of Christ.” I Corinthians 2:16

I use this scripture as a declaration when I need Godly wisdom. His perspective of my situation produces greater benefits than my own understanding can. Recently I read that the we in this verse refers to us as the Body of Christ as a whole, not just us individually. The thought occurred to me. If I only had a portion of my brain how much could I accomplish?

Depending on the number of brain cells I'd be apportioned, my abilities could be severely diminished. My communication skills might be non-existent or seriously impaired. I might be completely or partially immobile. I may not be cognizant of my surroundings and incapable of any interaction with others. Having only a fraction of my brain isn't a comforting thought.

If this writer's premise is true, the need for the Body of Christ to act as a whole is paramount. Unless each of us brings our portion of the mind of Christ to the table, the body is handicapped and functions at less than peak performance. So who's right? Do we possess the mind of Christ as a single proprietor or as the Body of Christ corporately?  Yes and amen!

In my personal relationship with Jesus I have direct access to the Supreme Creator of all things visible and invisible. I can ask for and expect to receive help in any situation. His word states emphatically:

“If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who give generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him,” James 1:5.

So it's possible in order for the Body of Christ to tap into the whole counsel of God, we'll need each other. God gives specific insights to each one, that another may miss or not comprehend. The early Church operated by this principle. All members were encouraged to share when they met. This wasn't a game of spiritual one-upmanship. God desires for all to be actively involved. As we bring our piece of the puzzle mysteries are unlocked, secrets are revealed and the Body functions as a whole.

So – does this mean that believers on the opposite ends of my doctrinal spectrum just might know something I don't? Could their interpretation of truth be truer than mine? Exactly!

God's words says we are to “reach unity in faith,” Ephesians 4:13 and that  we may “have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,” Ephesians 3:18. Sounds like we need to put our heads together so the Mind of Christ is one, not fragmented.


Are we willing to suck it up and admit that none of us knows it all? Will we listen to those whose ideas are counter to ours in order to glean nuggets of truth they possess? Will we value, esteem and honor our brothers and sisters in Christ enough to listen to what they have to say and learn from them? If we want to be in our right mind, we will.

1 comment:

  1. Mary: As get older, I learn that don't know what I thought I did. This revelation has been freeing to me. Right now, we have between five and six inches of snow on ground.The temperature is to go below 0 and have a dangerous wind chill with it.
    I used to get worked up about this kind of thing. But,I have learned not to grouse about things I can't control. God taught me that when I learned to listen to Him.

    ReplyDelete