Tuesday, March 31, 2015

My Meditations

Esther also was taken to the king's palace and entrusted to Hegai, who had charge of the harem,” Esther 2:8 (NIV).

His name, Hegai, meant “my meditations” and his job – prepare the candidates for their night with the king. One of them could be the next new queen.

The book of Esther has all the elements of a riveting novel. A king in search of a queen; an outsider's rise to power; anger that hatched a murderous plot; a divine reversal and all of it true. Woven into the narrative is a beautiful picture of God's love. His name is never mentioned but His fingerprints are everywhere.

Hegai is a type of Holy Spirit, our comforter. When we enter into a relationship with God we experience culture shock. His realm is completely different to what we're accustomed to. The king had Hegai to help the newest members of his household learn royal protocol. God has Holy Spirit to help believers navigate His kingdom.

Hegai's name describes how Holy Spirit assists us. Most of us come with warped ideas about God, who He is and what He's really like. Erroneous religious doctrines, dysfunctional families and relationships distort our concept about God. Holy Spirit shares with us God's thoughts and feelings toward us. It sometimes comes as a shock – the God of the universe not only loves us but also likes us.

I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving kindness,” Jeremiah 31:3 (NIV).

'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord. 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future,'” Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV).

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand,” Isaiah 41:10 (NIV).

Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See I'm doing a new thing. Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?” Isaiah 43:19 (NIV).

I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.” Isaiah 43:25 (NIV).

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28 (NIV).

...I have come that they might have life, and have it to the full.” John 10:10 (NIV).

We've heard something similar to these before:

I'll love you forever”;
I'm looking out for you”;
Don't dwell on the past”;
I forgive you.”

We've also had everlasting love evaporate before our eyes; our so-called protectors fail us; the past thrown back up in our face and forgiveness extended that was only meaningless words. No wonder Holy Spirit has His hands full. As long as we view God through the fractured lens of our past hurts and experiences we'll never get to know Him or trust Him.

If we allow them, God's Word and Holy Spirit will change us. It takes time just like the women new to the royal household needed a period of adjustment to their new surroundings. With the truth of God's feelings toward us right now, Holy Spirit comforts us. His meditations don't pertain to some time in the distant future after we've cleaned ourselves up and straightened out our act. It is present day reality – too good to be true, but true nonetheless.

How would you describe God's feelings about you right now? What is your concept of His view of your present situation? What do you wish He would say to you? Let the scriptures you've just read re-frame any distorted images you believe about God and His love for you. Let Holy Spirit guide you into a deep, intimate relationship with the One Who truly loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment