Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Help! I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up!

If the Lord delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumbles, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his right hand.
Psalm 37:23-24

Walking with God doesn’t guarantee we’ll never experience difficulties. Although God makes our steps firm, occasionally we get tripped up. He assures us we will not fall because we’re in His grip.

Sometimes I feel as if “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.” I did all I knew to do and I’m still flat on my face. Later, hindsight revealed the obvious that I missed. Would have, could have and should have, the regret triplets, point out my mistakes and how they could have been avoided, always well after the fact of course. Thanks for nothing.

Since God said we’re in His grip and can’t fall perhaps we need to reconsider what constitutes a monumental failure. It appears that God views it as a misstep, a bump in the road if you please. He knew in advance the challenges we’d face before we experienced them. As we walk in fellowship with Him, He prepares us for what lies ahead. We’ll face rough storms and will make it through to the other side.

Although God’s hold on us is firm, it’s no excuse for stupidity on our parts. We can’t do anything we feel like and expect Him to prevent any negative consequences. He never forsakes us but He also allows us to face the music for our wrong choices. He is a loving and at times an indulgent Father who is not interested in raising a pack of brats. He needs mature sons and daughters to administrate His kingdom using His authority here on earth. He understands we’re not perfect, so He helps us when we stumble.

I suspect we’re not the ones with the tightest grip. We say we hold onto God for dear life, but I think His grasp on us is stronger than ours is on Him. He’s unwilling to lose any one so He never lets go. Knowing He’s got us, we can confidently proceed without fear of falling. He’ll keep our steps firm when the ground beneath us shifts. We may trip and stumble but we’ll never fall and not be able to get up. How about you? Are there monumental failures that have tripped you up? Do you feel like throwing in the towel and quitting? Do you know God’s never let go, and that He’s still firmly hanging on to you?

Photo from Dreamstime

No comments:

Post a Comment